Thursday, June 24, 2004

Another Blogger for Kerry - A Defense of General Purpose Journals

Photo courtesy of JohnKerry.com. (Hotlinked - now long gone.)

I was a caller on
NPR's All Things Considered again this week, this time putting in a word in favor of literary and general purpose blogs and journals. Neal Conan's guest, a journalist and fan of political blogging, dismissed essentially all non-political ones as "I got up this morning and I brushed my teeth," in other words, dull and pointless.

He's mistaken.

One has only to look at the lively discussions on
Making Light and Electrolite to see a blog community in which politics is only part of the equation. Aspiring writers swap ideas, techniques and news of their progress on Within the Qelenhn, Presto Speaks! and many other individual journals. The friends function of LiveJournal enables journalers to keep up with several blogs at once, and add their own comments to each. And over on AOL, John M Scalzi's By the Way helps to keep journalers motivated to write on a wide variety of topics. True, a few of his posts run a little toward the tooth-brushing end of things, but even that has value, as we peek into the life of a writer who works out of his rural home, far from any AOL HQ.

Such goings-on do little to get John Kerry elected, but frankly I doubt that political blogging will tip the scales in the upcoming election. I'm much more interested in the results of Neil Gaiman's and Harlan Ellison's respective lawsuits, the dubious merits of POD, and how Sara Geer's tv production is coming along.

But okay: yes. You should vote for John Kerry this fall. Satisfied? You shouldn't need me to tell you that. This truth becomes clearer with every news report. Anyone who isn't thoroughly disgusted with George W Bush by now probably has been getting his or her news, if any, exclusively from Fox and other conservative media.

If you actually like what Bush and his cronies are doing, I'm not going to change your mind by blogging. All I can do is suggest that you pay more attention to NPR and other news sources that do more than skim the surface of stories.

Next subject, please.

For more cool not-necessarily-political blogs, follow some of the "Other Journals" links at the right, or visit the ones mentioned in the comments below.

Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning I came across Scalzi's entry about THIS ENTRY ... so of course I had to follow those links! A wonderful thing, this internet! Anyway, I'm not well-versed in the political arena but was just writing about a "political" topic in my own journal this morning. Said topic was about the use of the term, "Yellow Dog Democrat?" 'Twas not familiar with this terminology until recently and if you'd like to read the entry and leave a comment on the subject matter, it would be very much appreciated!
Kelly
journals.aol.com/khay6809/DigitalDigression

Anonymous said...

Found the link on "By the way" too and I have to admit in my blog I comment on politics occasionally but not as much as I could. (Not that I'd want too.) I agree with you completely. Just because you're not commenting on politics doesn't mean a blog is boring.  I mean I have 5 or 6 favorites I read and they have almost nothing to do with politics.  Come check mine out mine if you get a chance,okay?