Thursday, June 17, 2004

Tolkien Pastiches

 It's died down a bit now, but for several days a fun literary game was being played over on Teresa Nielsen Hayden's blog, Making Light.  The idea is to rewrite Tolkien in the style of another writer.  In practice, these pastiches tend to be based on specific works by everyone from Lennon & McCartney to Jane Austen, with Tolkien elements substituted for most of the original words.  The result is entertaining, and often quite funny.  Oh, and half the fun is identifying the source material of other people's pastiches.

I wrote about a dozen of these (I want to say "put together," since it's in effect a satirical rewrite of the work of others), and could happily have done a dozen more.  Nevertheless, I'm going to try to quit while I'm ahead.  Here they are.  Other people wrote more elegant, more literary, more clever, subtle and wondertful ones, but this is my blog so you only get the ones I did.  To see more, check out the link above, and follow the further links from there.

So.  What writers and works am I pastiching (is that a word?) here?

1.
It was a dark and stormy night.

In the Prancing Pony Aragorn son of Arathorn, wrapped in a weatherstained cloak, sat at his usual table and watched the hobbits tossing back beer and singing songs. Outside the inn clouds flew urgently away from the Shire. Every few moments lightning flashed through them, illuminating wraithlike shadows that rode toward their halfling prey.

The inn shook.

Wrapped in his cloak, Aragorn shook.

He wasn't afraid of the weather. --It's not just the weather, he thought. --It's the Ringwraiths on top of everything else. On top of me. On top of the hobbits doing eveything to draw attention to themselves.

2.
Once upon a time, a rather long time ago now, about last Saturday, Bilbo Baggins lived with his nephew in a hobbit-hole, under the name Bag End. 

("What does 'under the name' mean?" asked Merry.

"It means that the hillside was called Bag End, and he lived under it," said Gandalf.)

"Pippin wasn't quite sure," said Merry.

"Now I am," squeaked a voice.

"Then I shall go on," said Gandalf.

3.
The Red Book of Westmarch is a truly remarkable book. The introduction starts like this: "Hobbits," it says, are smallish folk with mind-bogglingly large, hairy, leathery feet. I mean, you may think you have trouble finding decent boots, but that's just peanuts to hobbits. Their feet are so big and tough that shoes themselves seem small and flimsy. Listen...."

After a while the style settles down a bit and the book starts to tell you something you might actually need to know, such as the fact that most of the Rings of Power were corrupted or destroyed, so if you should happen to find one, it is vitally important that you don't put it on.
 
4.
He dons the ring with nerveless hands
Close to the Eye in evil lands,
Lost to himself at last, he stands.

Gollum Frodo's exit stalls.
From fatal bite, o'er lava walls
With ring and finger, Gollum falls.

5.
One Ring! One Ring! Glowing bright,
Forged in fires of the night,
What immortal, lidless Eye
Now seeks thy grasping symmetry?

6.
Hobbits, go where I send thee.
Where shall I send thee?
I will send thee south and east
Where darkness falls and you the least,
Baggins, little bitty halfling
Will slip beneath his notice,
Hope, oh, hope of Hobbiton!

7.
In Khazad-Dûm did Durin's Folk
A stately treasure cave decree,
Which orcs and trolls soon overran
In caverns closed to dwarf and man
Far from the streets of Bree.

8.
Call me Mithrandir.

9.
Gollum leads you up to his stairway into Mordor
You can hear the orcs go by
You can stay entombed forever
And you know you’ve gone half-crazy
But that’s why you have to be there
And Sam feeds you out of dishes
Carried all the way from the Shire
And just when you want to tell him
That you cannot travel further
He takes you in his arms
And he lets his strong back answer
You’re not heavy, you’re his brother.

And we want to travel with them
And we want to read their tale
And we think we understand them
For the world in which we find them
Makes ours pale.

And Sauron was a voyeur when he sent out his nine Ringwraiths
He spent the last year watching
From Barad-Dur his tower
And when he knew for certain
That both elves and men were falling
He said, “All their lords will die except
The ones that heed my calling,”
But his dark power was broken
By a lowly injured Halfling
Never quite forsaken
You lost the Ring of Power
At Mount Doom.

(Chorus)

Now Sam leads you down to the base of the volcano
You can see the world is changing
By the dawn that’s late in breaking
And the eagles fly in beauty
To bear you and Sam to glory
And though you’re slow to heal, you’re with
The Ranger at his crowning
There are heroes from the Shire
There are men who are rebuilding
There are elves now looking out to sea
Who’ll sail away forever
And you too will be a sailor.

(Chorus)

10.
It was a long-expected party.
Suddenly, the host disappeared! The guests shouted. A gate slammed.
Suddenly, a Black Rider appeared on the horizon!

11.
I was out with Sam, my gardener. It was his year for following me around; he kept calling me Mister Frodo. He thought he was doing his duty by me. Gandalf’s fault. Ha, ha.

He’d cooked a couple of coneys for me, with herbs, no taters, reluctantly helped by Gollum, who’d since gone off on his own.

I’d eaten pretty good, but I was cranky. “Come on, you moron,” I demanded, “find me a way out of this wasteland.” 

[Note: this entry has been cleaned up with much less "vulgar" language than in the original. Sorry, HE.]

12.
“Repent, Gandalf!” said Saruman.
“Get stuffed!” said Mithrandir.

There are a few more of these in the comments below.

Karen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another one:

Look what I found
In a cave
Dark as a grave.
It's a magic ring.
It's a precious thing.
I put it on to vanish.
Its hold on my thoughts grows.
Should I pass it on now?
Gandalf knows.

Anonymous said...

Fun! I haven't gone over to Teresa's blog yet for fear it will make me cheat. I have a feeling that when I find out where some of these are from,  I'll want to kick myself in the head (but don't worry, I won't actually <I> do </I> it.


So . . . I suppose I'd be in dire straits if I didn't recognize number 3. That would be one smelly salmon of doubt. Should be so obvious to someone like me I won't even bother to name the author and work.


2. Looks like AA Milne to me. Not sure of which Pooh book.

5. William Blake, "The Tyger"

7.  Kubla Khan, Samuel Coleridge

8. Moby Dick, Herman Melville

I am too unsure about my other ideas to post them. Still, this was fun!





Anonymous said...

Sarah writes:

2. Looks like AA Milne to me. Not sure of which Pooh book.

Good call.

5. William Blake, "The Tyger"

Yup.

7.  Kubla Khan, Samuel Coleridge

Absolutely.

8. Moby Dick, Herman Melville

The only line of it I know!

Hint: I tend to go for songs and kid lit.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.  Nine is Leonard Cohen? Or at least, the song "Suzanne", written by Leaonard Cohen and recorded by both himself and Neil Diamond.

And number one just makes me think of Snoopy.

Sara

Anonymous said...

<<Hmmm.  Nine is Leonard Cohen? Or at least, the song "Suzanne", written by Leonard Cohen and recorded by both himself and Neil Diamond.>>

Yup.  Also recorded by Judy Collins.

<<And number one just makes me think of Snoopy.

Sara>>

No, he's farther down the list.  #1 is from another book that's famous for starting with that sentence.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Gondor, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, indeed thou art so,
For those whom thou love'st thou dost overthrow
For love of thee, though cans't not yet kill me.
From palantir, which Dark Lord's pictures be,
Much worry; then from thy lord hope must flow,
And soonest thy best men from thee go,
Reduced to bones, despair's delivery.
Thou art caught by fate, chance, evil,and desperate men,
Within thee madness, war, and hard words dwell,
As words and charms make Rohan sleep as well
Until the killing stroke; why preen'st thou then?
One great loss more, we lose eternally
And Gondor be no more; within shall die.

Anonymous said...

This latest one is John Donne, Holy Sonnet 10 (okay, I had to pull out my Norton anthology to look up which number sonnet it is).

If one of them IS Snoopy, is it number 10?? I can't imagine any of the other ones being Snoopy. I suppose Snoopy MIGHT'VE written #11 if he wasn't in a family paper.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sarah, #10 is based on Snoopy's most famous book.

I didn't realize the Donne had a number.

Karen