Friday, April 9, 2004

Repose, Part Two

(Note: read the entry below this one first!)

This year at the Altar of Repose I did pretty much what I always do on this occasion.  Part of it I spent in prayer, of course. This consisted mostly of a rather self-absorbed monologue in which I attempted to make a conntection, intellectually and emotionally, with Jesus: who he is, why he did what he did, and what he wants now. The rest of the time I read a couple of psalms, two chapters of Acts and two of John, and the Maundy Thursday readings I'd missed in favor of a four hour class about the equity method and the purchase method of accounting for business combinations.

At the end, just before Father Smith and his daughter arrived for the next half hour slot, I found myself wondering: did I get anything out of this? Am I supposed to get anything out of this? Or am I supposed to be giving something to it? If the latter, did I manage to do so?

I don't know, but I tried.

Karen Funk Blocher

Good Friday, 2004

No comments: