Friday, August 13, 2004

Fatigue

 
Late last night, when I should have long-since dragged my exhausted self off to bed, I was instead watching Cold Case Files when an ad came on for an over-the-counter remedy for "fatigue."  Apparently this modern miracle cure was intended to help the chronically sleepy and sleep-deprived get through the day suitably bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  (Why are the wide-awake people figuratively characterized as squirrels?) Afterward, the ad promised, the drug would not interfere with the user's sleep cycle.

Isn't there a contradiction here? It seems to me that the yawning I did all day at work today was very much a part of my sleep cycle--and proof that my sleep cycle needs to be interfered with.  Heck, if I could manage eight to ten hours of sleep a night instead of five to six, I wouldn't be "fatigued."  Even the commercial acknowledges that the pseudo-disease they want to treat can be caused by lack of sleep.  The ad agency knows exactly where to find the target market, too: on late night cable television.  If we fatigue "sufferers" weren't up watching the ad, we probably wouldn't need to buy the product.

Still, I must admit I'm tempted by the something-for-nothing promise of this new drug. Sure, I'd live to stay online or do homework (or watch A&E) until 3 AM, and then be alert and productive at the office all the next day.  But it doesn't work that way.  The body needs sleep. I know that.

It's just that there's always something more interesting or more urgent do be done at 1 AM or later than merely going to bed.  Have I mentioned lately that I have no discipline at all? 

What's the number to call for the free sample of that burn-the-candle-at-both-ends-without consequences drug? I was too tired to write it down.

Karen

ZZZZZzzzzzzz (I wish)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Spooky. But there is no cure for chronic night-owl syndrom (except to get a night job or more sleep...but then there goes your coveted free time). I get one "sleep late" day on the weekends. The rest of the week I wander in a fog through my day. I should go to bed earlier so I can be more fun for Tyler, but I need my nightly unwind and play on the computer time. ;-)
-B