Thursday, August 5, 2004

Tattoo? Me?

Weekend Assignment #18: You have to get a tattoo. Explain what image you would choose and why -- and where you would put it.

Alternate Assignment: If you already have a tattoo, tell us what it is and why you got it.

Extra Credit: Show us a representation of your would-be tattoo (any picture will do, not necessarily of a tattoo) or a picture of the tattoo you already have.


I'm really close to opting out of this one.  I hate tatoos. For me they're in the same category as nose rings and tongue studs. Ugh--I can't even look Seth in the face when he talks without gagging on the sight of that little ball in his mouth. I like tattoos only slightly better than that.

You all have the right to deface your bodies if you like (assuming that, if you're under 18, you have a parent's permission), but I won't join you in doing so.  Uh-uh.  Won't do it.  You can't make me.  Yeah, yeah, ancient art, long tradition, personal expression, group identity, you think it's pretty.  Fine. Go do it.  But I won't admire you for it.

If you did hold a gun to my head, drug me, brainwash me, and promise to vote for Kerry if I did as you demanded, the tattoo I got would have the design shown above.  You probably don't recognize it, but it's a familiar symbol to thousands of people who don't exist outside my imagination. It's the Sun & River, the royal seal of Mâvarin. It represents the sun rising from or setting into the river Misis, which runs almost the length of the country. The literal translation of the word
Mâvarin is Sun-River-Land.

If none of this makes sense to you, let me explain: Mâvarin is the made-up country in which the characters in my unpublished fantasy novels have their adventures.  Rani's fateful encounter with an insane tengrem, which kicks off Heirs of Mâvarin, takes place in and under a beech tree the overlooks the river Misis. Cathma's magic ring of the heirs of
Mâvarin has the Sun and River on it. So does the brooch that causes Fayubi so much trouble toward the end of the first book.

Until and unless I got the novels published, preferably leading to the best seller list and a movie deal (I'm not holding my breath), such a tatoo wouldn't mean anything to anyone except me. So, since my aversion to tattoos would remain stronger than my desire to promote the books, I'd hide the tattoo on an upper arm, where it could be shown, briefly, by rolling up a sleeve.

But don't look for it there anytime soon.

Karen

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Journal...congrats on being in the top 5!!

~Dana

Anonymous said...

Congrats for being Editor's #5 pick!!!!!...Ann
http://journals.aol.com/a2002v2002/SwirlingThroughMyMind/
http://journals.aol.com/a2002v2002/KeepALoveJournalTheySay/
http://journals.aol.com/a2002v2002/NAMoments/
Smile Yes, I even have more!!!!! Journals are lots of fun:):):):)

Anonymous said...

I have two tattoos and am contemplating another one. Talk me out of it!! <g>

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing journal!  Congratulations on the editor's pick!  I will definitely be visiting back here!!!!!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

I'm with you.  Can't stand tatoos.  I dont think people who get them give any thought to what they will look like in 50 years???
--Scott
http://journals.aol.com/sekirley/LifeSaver

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being an editors pick!
http://journals.aol.com/punky5678/AnAppleADay

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I like your Sun & River symbol! _rrose

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! -=)

I would never get a tattoo because I vacillate so much.  I would dig something for whatever time & then regret it.  No tattoo for me for that very reason.

Anonymous said...

Great entry AND graphic!
Congratulations on being Ed's Pick!  I loved your "Time to Get Shiny" title. LOL
~~mumsy
http://journals.aol.com/merelyP/ArgumentAgainstGrowingUp

Anonymous said...

i'm visiting all the links Mr Scalzi posted on his assignment :) i'm actually surprised how many people adore tatts !!  i think one of the greatest attractions is the fact that they're still considered "taboo"
i enjoyed reading your entry :)
pamela