Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Gullywasher!


source: NWSThis is more like it.  We've had significant rain most of the afternoon here in midtown Tucson, real monsoon activity instead of just rain over the mountains.  At least one major city street was briefly closed due to flooding. With any luck, I'll find water actually flowing in a wash once I get off work, and get you a couple of pictures.

Just this past Sunday, Father John Smith pointed out in a sermon that the rain one person prays to avoid (say, the day of a family picnic) may be the same rain someone else (say, a farmer in the drought-starved Southwest) prays to get.  I was reminded of this as I reveled in today's rain, only to learn that a  nearby town had major rain damage.  Someone was even injured when his mobile home collapsed.  I heard this on the radio, but missed the details as to where exactly this was. Needless to say, I didn't want anyone to get hurt, or for a family to lose their home!

Karen

photo by KFBLater:

It was pretty dry at the east end of town by the time I got home, but there was water flowing in Pantano Wash.  Here's the best of the pictures. Usually there's no water in this semi-retired river, except right after rain. As I understand it, water used to flow in some of Tucson's rivers (notably the Sata Cruz) over a century ago. Overgrazing and other man-made changes to the local water table soon put a stop to that.

The next time there's significant weather before dark, I'll try again for some pictures.

KFB

No comments: