Wednesday, July 14, 2004

The Monsoon in Color

NOAA GOES image WCI 17
Here's what the monsoon looks like, according to NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). Now that's more like it. It rained much of yesterday evening in Tucson, and it will rain more today. Finally.  It supposedly rained over an inch in the last day or so, which is roughly 1/12th of the average rainfall for the year.

I don't quite follow NOAA's terse explanation of the color scheme on this satellite photo / map, but I think the most colorful bits are colder and wetter. Tucson is roughly in the gray spot in the southeast quarter of Arizona (that colorful state just east of California).

No pictures from me today, even though the cloudy Catalinas were highly photogenic this morning.  The digital camera is recharging, and I'm up against the final deadlines on all my homework. Plus today is payroll day at work, so I'll be busy here, too.

Karen

Tucson, Rain & Those Hazy Crazy Memories of Summer
Fire on the Mountain - More on the Monsoon
Clouds' Illusions
Monsoon Watch: One Step Back....

National Weather Service - Tucson monsoon page
National Weather Service - Tucson forecast

No comments: