Sunday, July 11, 2004

Monsoon Watch: One Step Back, and Forward Again

When I started out to church this morning, there was hardly a cloud in the sky. Now they're building up again over the mountains, mounds of white puffy promise that make the Catalinas and the Rincons look small.  But overhead, the sky is perfectly blue and clear. I'll be very surprised if it rains today.

I liked blue sky
Back in Syracuse, but now
I need rain instead.

Stay tuned.

Karen

Later that same day...

What was I saying about no cloudage overhead?

At 7 PM I heard thunder!  I grabbed the camera and rushed outside, walking to the end of the block and back by way of the alley. A few tiny droplets of rain fell on me, my eyes got all gritty from a brief duststorm, and I just missed getting pictures of lightning about three times.  No gullywasher yet, but it's coming.  The thunder promises.

Up the block, a neighbor I don't know at all stood propped up against his truck, shirt off, camera to his eye, trying for lightning pictures.  I wished him luck with it.  Across the street, a couple with two dogs hugged and watched the sky.

Come on, come on...!


Promise, sunset clouds
You will not slip off at dusk
And leave the earth dry.

But they did.

Karen

Tucson, Rain & Those Hazy Crazy Memories of Summer
Fire on the Mountain - More on the Monsoon
National Weather Service - Tucson monsoon page
National Weather Service - Tucson forecast

No comments: