Tuesday, September 7, 2004

Oh! That Was Easy!

I did some cramming this morning to prepare for the Democratic primary being held here in Tucson today.

It turned out to be surprisingly easy.  This time, the Pima County Recorder's Office web site managed to tell me where my polling place is (something it failed to do for the Presidential primary), and the Arizona Daily Star had a "My Ballot" Java thingy on www.azstarnet.com with all the relevant candidates and their answers on the issues.  The only catch was that the program wasn't such which races were in my precinct for a couple of the funkier local divisions such as judicial district. I now have a handy-dandy printout of all my choices for U.S. Senate (the poor schlub running against McCain), U.S. House of Representatives, State Senator, AZ House, and six other races.  Some of these people, all familiar names to me, are running unopposed at the primary level, which makes it even easier.  I wouldn't have voted against Clarence Dupnik anyway.

The big race here is for U.S. Congress, District 8. Republican moderate Jim Kolbe, a veteran congressman and certified nice guy, has been targeted by a vicious campaign by a right wing  Republican opponent.  I fully expect Kolbe to survive this, as he's survived previous challenges. Me, I've had to decide among three Democrats running for Kolbe's seat, including a member of my parish at St. Michael's. This turned out to be surprisingly difficult, because two of them had good answers to the questions. Who do I vote for in the fall?  If Kolbe's on the ballot, I'll have to think about it, but otherwise it's the Democrat all the way. Kolbe and John McCain are pretty much the only Republicans I sometimes vote for - not always, but sometimes.

Vote, people.  Do your homework and vote. 

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree.  Vote!