Saturday, September 4, 2004

Yummy Yummy Chicken!

John and I went to different movies together today.

I had a coupon for a free ticket to the second Princess Diaries movie, but John wasn't interested in seeing it.  He was kind of interested in seeing Hero.  So I got tickets last night to the 1:50 PM Saturday matinees at Park Place: one ticket for each movie.  We even saw completely different trailers. It worked out well, except that John was done with his movie before I was with mine, and got bored hanging around Kaybee, our designated meeting place. I found Princess Diaries 2 completely satisfactory, a lightweight, predictable romantic comedy with a good cast and funny dialogue. John said he liked Hero, but didn't elaborate much.

Before heading into the theater, I insisted on getting lunch at the adjacent food court. John had just eaten some rice, so while I stood in line for teriyaki chicken he grabbed a table perhaps twenty feet away. In between us, about three feet from John, a guy in a chef's hat was offering samples of chicken to passersby.  He's been doing that for several weeks now, which is how I knew to give the Japanese place at the Park Place food court another chance.  When it first opened, I tried it twice and was disappointed twice.  It's better now.

Most people accept the toothpicks full of teriyaki, so the samples guy refilled his tray several times while I waited for my meal. The grill guy on the end would segregate a bit of the cooking meat for him, and chop it finer to cook faster.

John had trouble figuring out what the samples guy was saying, but I got it right away when I finally got to the table with my chicken and vegetables, no rice.  "Yummy yummy chicken!" he was calling out. When somebody took a piece, he thanked them.

John had already gotten bored with the chicken guy, but I enjoyed watching what he was doing. Some people would light up, delighted at the tiny gift of food.  Some would be more reluctant or dubious.  Some declined.  Some ignored him completely as they rushed past.  Sometimes people would crowd around, waiting for their respective toothpicks, and waiting to get at the trash next to John when their toothpicks were empty. Last night, John and I got momentarily stuck in one of the resulting bottlenecks, on our way to a much more expensive meal nearby.

It's nothing earthshattering or controversial,and I suppose I've gained no great insights from the experience. But I had fun watching the chicken man today.


Karen

no big message, just a cat.P.S. He has nothing to do with chicken or movies (except that he looks a bit like Princess Mia's cat Fat Louie), but here, at Sara's request, is a picture of her other cat, Madmartigan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Madmartigan! Great name! From The Princess Bride, right? yummy yummy chicken...I love the food court Japanese place here too. I always get the yummy yummy chicken...with mixed veggies and the pan fried noodles. Mmm. -B

Anonymous said...

Willow actually.  Both Madmartigan and Sorsha were in Willow.  But you were close! Most people just look at me funny.   Sara

Anonymous said...

Just a slice of life on a toothpick!